Part of the Khronos Group
OpenGL.org

The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Thread: Sharing textures between contexts

Newbie Newbie

Sharing textures between contexts

Is there a way to share textures between several contexts? I want to load textures in the background with a "loader" thread while rendering continues in the main rendering thread (rendering without the textures that are not available yet, obviously). Since an OpenGL context cannot be shared by other threads, I tried to create a loader context using the "sharing" feature mentioned in the context creation documentation but this does not seem to work. It doesn't even work in a single-thread design -- textures loaded in one context are not available to the other context. Any working example using either glx or wxwidgets would be most appreciated!

Thanks.

Junior Member Regular Contributor Agent D's Avatar
    AFAIK context sharing is the best/easiest/most portable way to acomplish this and textures should be shareable among contexts.

I used this in an applicaton several years ago, where a resource loading thread loaded (among other things) textures while the main rendering thread kept rendering, but unfortunately I no longer have access to that source code. However, I can confirm that this works (after a bit of tinkering, especially for shaders).

How do you diagnose that it does not work for you? Do you get a gl error or is the texture blank? Could you post a few source code snippets of how you try to do this?

Junior Member Newbie
    Here's how to do it with GLX:

In main thread Init function :

Code :
    XInitThreads();

renderingContext = glXCreateContext( Display*, XVisualInfo*, NULL, True);

workerContext = glXCreateContext( Display*, XVisualInfo*, renderingContext, True );

glXMakeCurrent(Display*, GLXDrawable, renderingContext);

In worker thread init function :

Code :
    glXMakeCurrent(Display*, GLXDrawable, workerContext);

Finally, don't forget to call glFinish() before using the loaded resources in the main thread

Senior Member OpenGL Guru Dark Photon's Avatar
    Also while you're studying up, be sure to read up on the new GL extension:

* {GL|GLX|WGL}_ARB_context_flush_control

just released. Good to know about this even if you decide you don't need it.

Newbie Newbie
    Thanks a lot! Turns out that this is pretty much what I did, my problems where mostly threads-related. Also forgot to call XInitThreads().