orientation and rotation

Hi, I am confused :confused: with term ‘Orientation’ and 'Rotation’.anyone please explain .Thanks in advance…

hi,

i guess you need to give a bit more information.
But what i can say … you may rotate in you 3D world, to get a final oriantation

cu
uwi

It’s the difference between “turn right 90 degrees” and “face east.” These will only lead to you facing the same direction if you happen to be facing north.

“Face east” is an explicit orientation (relative to a specific coordinate system, ie: the Earth). Regardless of whatever orientation you are currently in, you will wind up facing the same direction as anyone else who faces east.

“Turn right 90 degrees” simply means to change your current orientation to one 90 degrees right from where you currently are. Where you end up depends entirely on where you currently are.

You can represent rotations and orientations with the same mathematical constructs (ie: matrices and quaternions). The difference is in how you use them.

“90 degrees” doesn’t mean anything by itself. It could be used to turn you 90 degrees from your current facing. Or it could be used to set your current facing 90 degrees from some known orientation.

The former is the equivalent of taking your current orientation and applying a 90 degree rotation to it. The latter is replacing your current orientation with one that is 90 degrees rotated from a known orientation.

“You can represent rotations and orientations with the same mathematical constructs (ie: matrices and quaternions)”

Tell me basic funda of Quaternion, How it manage orientation and rotation.