The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OpenGL forum upgrade April 25th at 4AM PST

Hybrid View

Administrator Regular Contributor Khronos_webmaster's Avatar

OpenGL forum upgrade April 25th at 4AM PST

Hello,

After many weeks of preparation and testing, and with lots of help from some of our OpenGL moderators, we will be upgrading the OpenGL forums.

Once the upgrade is complete, the OpenGL forums will be running on vBulletin. We have put a lot of research and effort into ensuring we've made the best choice for the OpenGL community as a whole.

Due to the amount of data we are moving, the forums will need to be offline for several hours during the upgrade and post upgrade testing. We have taken special care to ensure that all old links to posts will continue to work and that no information will be lost. As well, the new forums will feature a cleaner, easier to use layout, and a mobile theme for smartphones.

Please note: On the new forums, there is no longer a distinction between username and display name. We had to make a tough decision on which one to keep. In the end, it made the most sense to keep the display name, since that is what everyone knows you by, and what the forum quotes refer too. Therefore, when you login to the new forums, you will be using your current display name as your username. For example, my current username is khronos23, and my current display name is 'Khronos Webmaster'. When I login to the new forums, I will be logging in with 'Khronos Webmaster' as my username, and my current password will continue to work.

We've scheduled the upgrade for Wedensday April 25th at 4AM PST.

We thank you in advance for your patience during this transition.
    Webmaster Khronos.org and OpenGL.org

Please post issues you may find with the new forums here. I'll work as fast as possible to correct any problems.

Known Issues:
    - The Index rebuild might not have indexed all posts. We are going to re-run the index tonight. In the meantime, there "might" be some posts that will not appear in searches.
    - On the new forums, there is no longer a distinction between username and display name. We had to make a tough decision on which one to keep. In the end, it made the most sense to keep the display name, since that is what everyone knows you by, and what the forum quotes refer too. Therefore, when you login to the new forums, you will be using your current display name as your username. For example, my current username is khronos23, and my current display name is 'Khronos Webmaster'. When I login to the new forums, I will be logging in with 'Khronos Webmaster' as my username, and my current password will continue to work.
    Last edited by Khronos_webmaster; 04-25-2012 at 10:54 AM.

Member Regular Contributor
    Maybe this will be fixed after the re-indexing:
    I am missing my watched threads list, it should be converted to the subscribed threads in my profile.

Regards
    -chris

Administrator Newbie
    Chris, the import didn't allow for the watch threads to be imported, but I am trying to work out a script to grab those as we speak.

Junior Member Regular Contributor tksuoran's Avatar
    Please make a dark skin / theme available. I really need it. Thanks!

Also, if I switch to the advanced mobile theme on desktop (silly me) I am welcomed with an error page, and it takes a while to figure out how to reverse that setting change..

What is the error page you get, and can you tell me what is the name of the mobile theme you choose. When I try it here, I have no issues. Thanks.

Junior Member Regular Contributor tksuoran's Avatar
    http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boa...do=editoptions

says:

We are sorry, this content is not supported via the mobile style.

Junior Member Regular Contributor
    Hi,

I encoutered strange behaviour of reply form (both basic and advanced one):
    each Return keystroke inserts two newlines (I have to manually delete one)

OS: Linux, browser: Firefox with Pentadactyl extension, it didn't happen with old interface.

ps. New theme is great.

edit: It must be bug in FF or Pentadactyl, there is no problem with Opera

edit2: or bug in forums, Pentadactyl's text edit mode doesn't work with reply text field
    (but only with WYSIWYG mode, in source mode there is no problem with newlines)
    I can live with that
    Last edited by kowal; 04-27-2012 at 10:59 AM.

Editing profiles doesn't seem available on the mobile style. There's a patch for the mobile theme, no idea what it entails, but I'll try to get it installed this weekend. We'll see if that makes a difference.

Senior Member OpenGL Guru Dark Photon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Khronos_webmaster View Post
    Please post issues you may find with the new forums here. I'll work as fast as possible to correct any problems.
    I think one of my biggest problems with the new forums is that when I select a thread that has new posts, it jumps to the first post rather than the first "unread" post. This is a big time sync. I don't like reading new posts out of context in the forum-and-thread-merged "new posts" list, and sorting a thread new posts first means you're reading the thread in reverse chrono order which isn't ideal.

Could we consider implementing this:

* Go to Unread Post after clicking Text Title (VBulletin 4 Forums)

Sounds like it's just popping a "goto=newpost" into a template.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Dark Photon; 05-02-2012 at 11:33 AM.